5.29.2008

End Week 2

Tomorrow will signal the end of my first class here at ACD! We will conclude Anglo-Irish Writers tomorrow, and despite spending very little time in class, I have enjoyed learning about Dublin and its writers on trips and excursions. :-) We spent little time on the literature itself, but I feel like I have enough background info on the writers and the city setting to read these books again on my own, especially Ulysses by James Joyce.


We've spent the past two days on Joyce--yesterday we visited the Joyce Center in Dublin City Centre, and today we went to the Joyce Tower and Museum on the coast of Dublin--one of our coolest trips, in my opinion! :-) Now, I am so ready to tackle Ulysses. Though it is a challenging book, it is supposed to be genius and very funny--it seems everyone in Dublin has read it. The owner of a mom and pop bookshop on O'Connell street said to me, when I bought it, in his thick accent-- "Best book in the world." And supposedly, more is written about James Joyce than Shakespeare.


Today it was lovely at the tower! Great view and my first time on Ireland's coast. I was camera happy, but here are my favorite shots.
It was gorgeous. It was comforting too--as soon as I could smell the sea air, I thought of Charleston. The ocean smells the same all over the globe, I suppose. It's soothing in a way.
This weekend we booked a day trip to Galway to see the Cliffs of Moher... but the current train strike is interfering... we hope they figure it out before tomorrow, but that might not happen. I am anxious about losing a weekend., because I want to see Belfast too! We'll see how it goes.
Well, that's all the update I can manage for now--it is taco night over at the boys' place! ;-)

1 comment:

  1. i've been to Galway, and the cliffs of Moher are awesome

    ReplyDelete