5.04.2008

Susan

"But every year you grow, you will find me bigger." -Aslan, Prince Caspian



Oh, how I can't wait for this movie to come out. I love the book (and all the others) with each reading. But it seems like I won't be able to see it until long after it comes out, sadly enough! For the American release date is May 16th, and I'll be on a plane, arriving in Dublin that very day. This by itself wouldn't be an issue, as it would be cool to see it in Ireland, but according to the UK's Prince Caspian website, the movie doesn't release in the UK until the end of June, after I leave. I haven't been able to find a specific release date for Ireland. So I might have a wait on my hands. Sad day!



God is bigger with each year; everything I learn teaches me how very little I understand. The closer I get to Christ, the more I want to find out about Him. Some things are beyond my mind's ability to grasp--but I want to find the line.



I've always related to Susan in the Narnia series: primarily because when I first read them, I was younger, and I idolized the older girl. She was smart, she got a bow and arrow which I thought was enormously cool, and despite the negative rap she gets, I can relate to her practical, cautious approach to things. Granted, I tend to be pretty impulsive, but when serious or important decisions are at stake, I might look at the situation as Susan does.



When I first read that Susan was "no longer a friend of Narnia" in The Last Battle, I was crushed. Why would C.S. Lewis do that? Why leave Susan out?



Rather, why would Susan say something like this: "What wonderful memories you have! Fancy your still thinking about all those funny games we used to play when we were children." (Last Battle) She saw Aslan's death, saw him after "death turned backward." How could she forget?



It makes sense, now that I'm older. C.S. Lewis is a master of allegory-- I see Susan as a sort of prodigal who didn't make it home before the books ended. She doubted, she got wrapped up in the world as so many of us do. Some people, who come face to face with God, still manage to stray in the worst ways, like Susan.



We all have a little bit of Susan, the questioner, in us. Certainly we'd rather be heroic, like Peter, or faithful, like Lucy. Or like Edmund, redeemed. But I bet I'm not the only that can relate to Susan's tendency to think too much.

3 comments:

  1. Hi HIllary, if you enjoy "The Chronicles Of Narnia", may I suggest another title to try? "Outcasts Of Skagaray" is a Christian fantasy allegory. If you want a free preview, please go to www.threeswans.com.au and check the sample chapters. There are reviews on line, as well.
    I would be delighted if you read it but in any case I greet you as a sister in the Lord. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing better to blog about than Narnia, Maybe the Bible, I guess. I think Lewis would make our beloved Susan fall to remind us that many will fall. And I think to remind us to always hurt for those who fall and never give up on them. It hurts us so much to look at the fallen, but of coarse we never give on Susan coming back to Aslan. But how easy to we give on our friends in this world. May we look at all our lost friends as we look at Susan, may we see their times with Christ as exciting as Susan's time with Aslan, may we yearn for them to return as we do for Susan, and may we have Faith that God will not give up as we know Aslan never would give up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dunno if you said this but I feel like Lewis is warning people with Susan. She's practical, logical, etc. but really without that capacity and room for wonder and the inexplicable, people like Susan will be unable to believe in truths they may even have once held dear. I like her as well though. Susan is kind of like Prufrock to me. The author reminds us what not to be like, at least not entirely.

    ReplyDelete