8.04.2011

Musings from Day 3

"If it weren't for Christians, I'd be a Christian." -Mahatma Ghandi
One thing that gave me a little hope when I came to this conference was meeting many other people of faith here. Though our group is not very diverse (we are all Caucasian and there is only one male), the speakers describe previous Academies that have been extremely diverse in ethnicity, gender, and faith. I am pleased to find people of faith, particularly Christians, here at all.

I am perplexed at the stupidity of the ordinary religious being. In the most practical of all matters, he will talk and speculate and try to feel, but he will not set himself to do. --George MacDonald

Christians are fantastic talkers. We can talk and plan and diagram and convene until we're blue in the face. We are particularly good about talking missions. However, I am convinced that our discussions about missions are first of all, misguided, and second of all, futile.

  • Talking about missions is generally a misguided practice. To the average Christian, missions happen overseas and generally involve making believers of the lost. 


  • Talking about missions is also a futile practice because talking is not acting. Sending money is only a small step towards action.
Our definition of "mission work" is woefully off-target. Instead of trying to make Western Christians of everyone people group we encounter, I believe we should be working to eradicate poverty, provide healthcare, rescue the enslaved, feed the hungry, and shelter the homeless. I also believe that each of these can and should be done within our own borders as well as abroad. But I'm not saying anything that someone else who isn't smarter, more eloquent, and more famous hasn't said already. 

I always try to frame my protests against modern Christianity from Christ's example. More than anything, Jesus did two things: he met people's physical needs (healed them of illnesses, provided food, etc), and he formed loving relationships (most often with those that were other).

My skeptical heart brightens here, where so many other people of faith are gathered with a commitment to social justice and to action. I think there are few truer forms of worship than loving and sacrificing for a fellow human being. 

Jesus said the greatest commandment was to love God with every part of yourself. He then said the second greatest was to love others as yourself. 

"All these I have kept," said the rich, devout man. 

"Then sell all that you have, give it to the poor, and follow Me."

The man walked away.

We are not so unlike him. Compared to the rest of the world, we are rich, and we are self-proclaimed devout. Jesus offers us the same choice. 




No comments:

Post a Comment