4.13.2009

Just Give Me Jesus.

Part of me is annoyed every year that my spring break is nowhere near Easter. This weekend, I went home, ate way too much, sang loud at church, laughed with my family, but the entire time, the obligations of school never left my mind. I wished that school didn't hover over me on the happiest day of the year, when all I wanted to do is eat candy and hang out with my brother.

We all let this happen. We let the concerns of the world, the worries of this life that seem so important take away from what really matters. But, honestly, school is not as important as Christ. If I had to choose between goals that I have (like keeping my scholarships, getting a degree, going to graduate school, becoming a teacher, and owning my own house) and Jesus, all the other crap goes. There is so much more to life than a checklist. Just give me Jesus.

This week, I'm going to my cousin's wedding in Minnesota. And contrary to popular belief, not all girls freak out over weddings. I'm not a fan for mostly selfish reasons. Weddings remind me of what I don't have; they make me less content with where I am in my life. But I have everything I could ever need and more.

Also, on a tangent, weddings are filled with ridiculous etiquette and polite mumbo jumbo that I just find tedious. I'd probably be the bride that skips the reception. Or as I keep telling my family, I'll just elope. ;-)

(They'd kill me.)

Whether or not you want to drain your life savings into a Cinderella wedding or not, I'd say most girls (and guys) do spend a lot of time thinking about dating, getting married, settling down, etc. Especially at this age, which I like to call The Bridesmaid Era. But honestly, these thoughts are nice if you can't fall asleep at night, but really fantasies are just another distraction, just like school or work. I want to find that special someone as much as any other person, but if it comes down to loving a man or loving the Son of Man...Just give me Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. I love this...its so true! I have recently been forced out of that wedding-obsessed mode by God himself and I am happier than ever because of Him! love you! :)

    ReplyDelete