3.18.2008

Prayer Room 1

I'm surrounded by prayer. By cries of delight, by broken hearts, by hope and fear and faith. The prayer room, upstairs in the BCM house, is the site where 24/7 prayer is happening on my campus. This is my hour. I've listened to music, basking in the presence filling this small room. I've wandered around the perimeter, reading prayers, reading the Bible verses covering the walls, lifting them up. The need of my campus overwhelms me, but this room is filled with hope. There's a map, with pushpins, so we can see the international reach of God's love, there are drawings and pictures on the walls. There's a confession room, where burdens are cast. Music from my laptop fills my ears.

"Oh, no, you never let go!"
"You're all I want, You're all I need!"
"He took me in his arms, said my son's come home again..."

"How can I stand here with you and not be moved by you?"

I can't be in this room and not be moved. It's Passion week; I'm preparing my soul for the happiest day of the year, and also, the worst day of the year. Easter weekend--the horror and anguish of Good Friday, the hopeless despondence of Saturday, and the absolute ecstasy of Easter.

God, consume me. Embrace this campus. Surround us, walk with us, pursue us, save us.

*
*
*
*
*

I can't shake the image of Christ lounging on the floor of this prayer room, resting his against a pillow, taking in all the prayers covering these walls and filling the air of this place. Some would make him smile, some would break his heart. But so many of the prayers are triumphs, are praises.

The glory of Christ is in this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment