3.23.2008

Easter

The Easter story never gets old for me. Though, I did find myself recoiling when my Sunday School teacher insisted that we read over the passages on Jesus' crucifixion. I felt like I'd already done my mourning, already honored that moment, and I wanted to focus on the joy of Easter.

Something I notice about angels: every time they show up in the Bible, the first thing they say is "Do not be afraid." Angels, I don't think, are cherub-cheeked blonds; Jesus once referenced angels using the word "fleet". These are heavenly warriors. Imagine being Mary Magdalene, and walking up in time to witness one appear, roll away the boulder blocking the entrance to Jesus' tomb like it was nothing!

Imagine being Peter and John, responding to what was then considered the "unreliable" testimony of a woman, and running to the tomb to find it empty but for neatly folded burial cloths!

Just imagine being any one of those witnesses who watched Jesus' brutal murder and then saw him alive again!

My family, quirky as we are, made for an amusing Easter Sunday, but I can't help but crawl into bed at peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment