2.07.2009

We Asks for Gifts: God Gives The Giver

I probably can't lucidly describe the degree to which my eyes have been opened in the last seven hours.

Tonight, a few in my BCM gathered together to study (on a Friday night) the word of God as it pertains to the Holy Spirit. The study was a part of the Secret Church series as presented by David Platt's ministry at Brookhills Church in Alabama; it's called Secret Church because the gatherings take place from 6 to 12 on Friday nights, as this is when persecuted believers across the world meet to study the Word and worship Christ.

For more info: http://www.brookhills.com/secretchurch/

I can't even begin to scratch the surface of everything I learned tonight in one entry, especially at this hour. However, if there was a single image of the Spirit's work in man that will never leave me, it is the image of Simeon. (Luke 2:25-32)

Take this in:

25Now there was a man in Jerusalem called Simeon, who was righteous and devout. He was waiting for the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him. 26It had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not die before he had seen the Lord's Christ. 27Moved by the Spirit, he went into the temple courts. When the parents brought in the child Jesus to do for him what the custom of the Law required, 28Simeon took him in his arms and praised God, saying:
29"Sovereign Lord, as you have promised,
you now dismiss[a] your servant in peace.
30For my eyes have seen your salvation,
31which you have prepared in the sight of all people,
32a light for revelation to the Gentiles
and for glory to your people Israel."

____

Imagine this old man, living so many long days while still clinging to the hope that he will see the Messiah before he dies. The Holy Spirit leads his weary body to temple one final time. And when Mary and Joseph bring Jesus to the church, Simeon knows it in each of his tired bones that before him, this child, is the Lamb of God that will take away the sin of the world. And Simeon, old muscles trembling, takes this child in his arms and cries out, "God, as you promised, I have seen the Messiah with my own eyes, and so now let your servant die in complete and utter peace!" Precious.

How much are we like Simeon, living each day searching for the fulfillment found in a loving God, for redemption and forgiveness and unconditional affection, and how much more are we like Simeon in that once we have found Christ, we should be able to say, "Now, Sovereign Lord, dismiss your servant in peace" because I have seen all I need to see on this earth.

In this life, I have never seen any physical, tangible event that I could call a miracle. For example, I have not seen a sea part, or a lame man get up and walk, or a man walk on water. I have seen the Spirit of God moving in mighty and compelling ways in my own life and in the lives of my family and friends. And I have seen both old and new believers fall to their faces in shame of their sin and adoration of their God who redeems. I have seen the face of God in sunrises (thanks Phil Wickham for the lyric) and I seen the love of Jesus in the eyes of believers in Peru and I have seen the Holy Spirit stirring passion in hardened hearts.

So when the time comes for me to die, I will fall at the feet of Jesus Christ who loved me enough to die as my ransom, and I will cling to Him, and though I can't begin to imagine this moment, I think my words will be something like Simeon's.

____

My words are clumsy, and the hour is late, so forgive me. But I thank God for the His Spirit permeating believers around the world.

http://www.brookhills.com/secretchurch/

No comments:

Post a Comment