9.01.2008

Morning

8 Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love,
for I have put my trust in you.
Show me the way I should go,
for to you I lift up my soul. (Psalm 143:8)

______________________________________

I'm reading The Sacred Romance and preparing to teach it in the coming weeks. It's a right-brained sort of book--somewhat abstract, tuned into emotions. The writers want us to get back in touch with our own hearts so that we can in turn draw closer to the heart of God.

The writers, John Eldredge and Brent Curtis, suggest that our hearts are most accessible in the early morning or late at night. Not to say our innermost feelings are not reachable during the day, but there are times when we wake up in the middle of the night with racing thoughts, or times in the morning when we are particularly thoughtful.

David, in the above verse, seems to agree. He asks, "Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love."

I've always resisted spending time in the Word in the early morning. I forget so often when I try to do it in the morning--the to-do list of the day is already writing itself in my mind. At night, I'm usually still trying to finish said list.

But as I sit in the dark in my room here at school, hymns and praise in my headphones, and a keyboard under my fingertips, I can't think of a better way to start the day.

I want David's prayer to be mine. "Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love,
for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul."

_______

Be near, O God, be near, O God of us,
your nearness is to us our good...
(Shane and Shane)

Good morning.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you were interested in that line of thinking. My circle of friends passes around John Eldredge books as well.

    --your Irish breakfast buddy :)

    ReplyDelete